Thursday, January 22, 2009

what dreams may come

I'm a big believer that God can speak to you in your dreams. I also believe that not all dreams come from Him. Some come from satan, and some are just the fears and desires of your heart being manifested in your subconscious while you're asleep. Regardless of the source, I believe that dreams have a meaning, even if its just information you recently put into your brain (via movie, tv, book, etc) replaying in your brain (such as how I had some dreams about Twilight while I was reading the books.)

That being said...

I had some nightmares Tuesday night. They really messed with me. I was exhausted Wednesday morning, but I was almost afraid to go back to sleep because the visions kept coming back when I closed my eyes, and they were very upsetting. I know I was crying in my sleep. I had tears crusted on my eyes and cheeks when I woke up. I prayed about it all day, every time they would creep back up on me and make my stomach clench and turn into knots. It was a very long day, fighting these dark images. The entire thing just made me feel very much like there was evil at work trying to make me stumble from the path I'm on, because I know with tremendous certainty that I am on His chosen path for me in my life.

Last night, I had the opposite dream. Some of the same main characters from the nightmares, but in a totally different setting. This dream was very quick, not as detailed, and left me with this deeply refreshed feeling of hope and optimism about my entire life. I have to believe that it was God showing me in my dream that I am doing things in my life that bless and please Him, and that subsequently He has amazing things in store for me. It affirmed my belief that I am choosing Him in my life, that I am walking right with Him.

Two nights of dreams made a splendid little microcosm for me. It reminded me that no matter how awful things get, how painful and ugly they are, God is always with me. It showed me that when I choose God, when I trust Him, He will take care of me and bring my hopes to fruition.

And let us not lose heart and grow weary and faint in acting nobly and doing right, for in due time and at the appointed season we shall reap, if we do not loosen and relax our courage and faint. Galatians 6:9